Phemie Alcott: SL Songstress

Sunday 28 October 2007

Tonight I was lucky enough to head on down to the AWE, and catch on of the live music performances happening throughout the exhibition. Phemie Alcott is a real life singer/songwriter who has been entertaining audiences in SL for some time now, and armed only with her guitar was keeping the audience enthralled with her soulful music and lyrics. Phemie is very influenced by other female artists like PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, and Joni Michell, and very much wears her influences on her sleeve, including performing a cover of Amos' song "Winter" in her set. Also, since the event was at the Writer's Exhibition, she also performed a song where she had taken a poem by an sl poet, and then put it to music, much to the delight of the crowd. Once she had finished entertaining the throng in attendance, I managed to grab her to have a quick chat about what it's like to be a performer in SL:



Voodoo Buwan: So, what inspired you to start performing your music in SL?
Phemie Alcott: Well, when I first signed up I had noooo idea what this place was about and then someone told me to check out a show so I did and was fascinated by it. I watched shows for like 4 or 5 months alone just watching and listening and then realized that I could do this myself cuz I have been singing since high school..
Voodoo Buwan: Have there been many challenges getting yourself set up and established inworld?
Phemie Alcott: Hahaha…yes…I got a six-channel mixer and figured everything out myself and read Jaycatt's article on streaming which was very useful. I'll never forget the first time I tried to stream…laughing…but once I got it going it was fine…except getting a good balance sonically.
Voodoo Buwan: And have the gigs been easy to come by, once you got the technical stuff out the way?
Phemie Alcott: at first I just blanket IM'd venue owners...some were really nice and gave me a chance right away and others were not so responsive but mainly I've achieved my gigs through word of mouth and just being persistent.
Voodoo Buwan: You mentioned that you have been singing since high school. Do you perform in rl?
Phemie Alcott: I sang for four years in a very serious rock band in the nineties and did pretty well and then quit for a myriad or reasons and then stopped writing & singing for about 7 years and SL has inspired me to start again. I do not have a RL band now..just my career in SL.
Voodoo Buwan: So, apart from the fact there there are computers between you and your rl audience, what kind of differences are there between performing rl and in sl?
Phemie Alcott: that's a great question. You kind of have to rely on chat a bit to feel if there's energy in a crowd as opposed to being in a live room. You have to close your eyes and just believe that people are interested in listening...but the really cool thing is that there are some very intimate moments I've experienced performing in SL that I don't believe you could have in a live room. People really tell you what they think while you're singing which is a unique experience and very cool. You can feel if a crowd is into you or not…
Voodoo Buwan: So, what advice would you give to any other budding musicians thinking about making the leap into performing in SL?
Phemie Alcott: You have to practice and work at it just as much as in RL. I don't like it when I go to a show and the artist is unprepared, unpractised and just sloppy. I would like SL to have a reputation for good quality performers and there really are a ton of them to be had. I think learning a wide range of songs is good too. Stick to your style and don't try to be anyone else. And DON'T get a big head...I hate it when people get cocky just cuz they are getting attention or feel like they are some SL star...grrr...respect the music...that's what it's about.

Posted by Brutha Voodoo at 14:00  
1 comments
Trinity Dechou said...

I also managed to catch a bit of the show, very soulful voice, most enjoyable.

28 October 2007 at 14:58  

Post a Comment