RMS Titanic in SecondLife

Sunday 4 November 2007

I watched with interest as people reported about RMS Titanics arrival into second life. Being from a generation of "My Heart Will Go On" I am fully aware of Titanic and her story. Personally not a fan of the film, I never was, however I found the research and construction of the replica for the movie brilliant. It pushed me into looking more into Titanics journey into our world and subsequently her departure from it again.

I watched the release movies for Titanics launch in SL, and like most was intrigued to see how the transition worked. Today I went along to have a look.

You arrive on a tropical beach with teleports in front of you. Found this concept a little odd, Titanic was sunk by an iceberg and set sail from Southampton, don't think there's many palm fans in these places.

I cammed out to get her on my screen, must say she does look pretty special, chimneys pumping out smoke and portcullis style windows along the hull. Time to take the tp's to many locations. I wander through her halls, seeing the ballroom, grand staircase and of course the flying pose-balls on the front.

From a build point of view she is well constructed and thought out, I would think the challenge to bring Titanic into sl would be a large one and building wise she is good. I run into a major problem for me in the 'grand staircase' personally I didn't think it was very 'grand'. Also the ship is essentially a shopping mall, so upon arrival at the staircase of dreams you are surrounded by fashions and toys to buy.

I understand projects in SL must be financed however I personally will put my neck on the line here and say RMS Titanic should never have been made and turned into a shopping complex. The ship itself does have a small area dedicated as a museum, pictures of the ship along with facts and figures. I personally find it a hard bone to swallow when this 'museum' and launch marketing is around Titanic and what she stood for when the main aim inside this marvel is to shop.I think people should see this area, seeing what is possible in SL is of course always wonderful, I am also sure many out there don't have a problem with this being a shopping complex. Visit Titanic Here.

1 comments

Hi thanks for your thoughts on my SL build The Titanic.
Unfortunately secondlife is no cheap place to rent, so shops were necessary to pay the tier.
I dont mind them so much considering the environment and culture of sl,
I have sold the avatar Morphius Barbosa and started a fresh life in sl as Reborn wingtips, I still love to visit and see people having fun aboard. If anyone has something big i can be a part of get in touch :)

1 February 2009 at 20:07  

Post a Comment