The Happy Tale of Grim Bros

Wednesday 14 January 2009

As anyone who knows me, or has even bumped into me wandering around the grid, will be able to tell you, I like my fashions a little bit on the quirky side. From the pulsating heart on my sleeve to the voodoo doll on my belt or even the myriad textured tentacles that often protude from my back, if I can find something a little bit unusual and twisted to wear, then I am a happy Voodoo. Therefore, you can understand why, when glancing through the Second Life Flickr Pool, and saw the pictures from one designer, who is making dresses made from fingers, rifles and syringes, and spinal attachments that give the look of exposed wiring sticking out of you, I needed to pop along and have a look.


The shop in question is Grim Bros and the designs there are uniquely unusual, but created with an attention to detail that really grabs your eye. As I wondered around the shop, I became nervous as to exactly how much money this little trip was going to set me back, but was pleasently surprised that the prices are very reasonable, meaning that there are now quite a few peices created by designer and owner Cutea Benelli in my inventory. Another happy hapenstance was the fact that Ms Benelli coincidentally turned up while I was browsing the store, so I made the most of the oppotunity, and sat her down for a quick chat:


Voodoo Buwan: So, how did Grim Bros come into existance?
Cutea Benelli: Umm.... it actually started with a horror shoppe called Low Prim & Grim. It was a b-movie thing, but by definition simple, very low prim stuff. Grim Bros more or less was a spin-off of that, the first items very bloody. So about a year ago, we bought the plot and i started to build.
Voodoo Buwan: So, as your building skills increased, so did the company?
Cutea Benelli: Well I still consider myself a beginner in terms of building. So much to learn. Actually i built a building far too big for the stuff i had and I don't like building architecture. So i decided to instead fill the building with wares:) The company still is rather small compared to most serious designers out there.
Voodoo Buwan: A lot of your merchandise is very detailed and unusual in it's styling. Where do you get your inspirations from?
Cutea Benelli: I don't know, they just happen really. I talk to somebody and they use a phrase and poof there is a picture in my head of a hat that has that name, stuff like that.
Voodoo Buwan: Making a name for yourself in SL can be very difficult. Are you using any methods to try to get yourself out there?
Cutea Benelli: Not much apart from the obvious, such as classified etc. I am a lazy marketer in sl:)
Voodoo Buwan: So, hoping that having good products will be enough to get customers in?
Cutea Benelli: Works for me. I think for now, word of mouth is the biggest marketing asset in sl. I do sponsor events occasionally and there will be a shakespeare play soon, the costumes of which will mostly be by me. A steampunk rendition of "the tempest", with the avatar repertory theatre.
Voodoo Buwan: How has the consumer reaction to your items been? With items like the syringe spine there could be adverse reactions from people who might see it as condoning drug use?
Cutea Benelli: So far I haven't experienced any serious bashing. No wait, there once was a woman announcing a boycot for my store because i was ...ummm.... glorifying communism, as i had a che guevara shirt there. She never saw the flea market soviet hat i guess. But anyway she was throwing a tantrum as if i had a Stalin altar
Voodoo Buwan: Do you bear these criticisms in mind when designing, or is it more important to be true to your creative vision?
Cutea Benelli: well i stick to my own ideas, i suppose, but i don't see a lot of designs that i would consider offensive. Provocative, perhaps. It would be hard to comply with everybody else's standards, but as i said, i haven't had many complaints about concepts yet. I did get rid of the che shirt at some point but just because it seemed so redundant.
Voodoo Buwan: What's next for you and Grim Bros then?
Cutea Benelli: i don't know. i just created my first full-fledged avatar, and also there were quite a few cyberpunk designs in the last few weeks, so who knows. i don't plan:) I will go where my mind takes me.
Voodoo Buwan: And is there any advice you would give to any would be designers out there?
Cutea Benelli: i am tempted to say "don't listen to other designers' advice" except there are a lot of practical things to consider :) I think the most important bit, at least for me, is to create stuff i enjoy myself. One of the reasons i hardly ever do custom builds. I have more fun building if i love the idea:)
Voodoo Buwan: And is there anything else you wanted to add?
Cutea Benelli: Perhaps I could just mention that people should visit the Bogon Flux, the bastard lovechild of blotto Epsilon and myself. It is a house that builds itself and destroys itself again. It was created for burning life but has found a permanent home in China. There is a video about it, created by Mescaline Tammas, and it even made it on www.boingboing.net :)
Voodoo Buwan: So, you've got your fingers in a few pies then?
Cutea Benelli: Well yes, I'm insatiable;) As i said, i go where my mind takes me.

0 comments

Post a Comment