The F.A.T. of the land

Saturday 15 March 2008

It occured to me some time ago that business travel regarding the world of Secondlife is very much a one way street. RL businesses come into SL to try to get a little publicity or money out of our little world. Journalists come in to investigate. RL cars, clothes, books and more get reproduced inworld, for our avatars to own. And of course, sl celebrities, even those who are successful business people, are only ever famous inworld. A musician may draw huge crowds inworld, but no one has been discovered from here, and you still end up playing to half empty bars in rl.

There are some mavericks that are trying to break these rules. People who are building a foundation in sl, and striking out from there with their aim to make it in the real world. One such innovator is Alfred Kabuki, the founder and designer of F.A.T. Designs, one of my personal favourite sl clothing manufacterers, who is not only making it big inworld, with a dedicated following of fans clamoring for each and every new product he brings out, but on the one year aniversary of the label's launch inworld, is looking to release the clothes that people have been draping their avatars inworld, into the real world, so you can dress yourself as well as you avatar. I caught up with Alfred, for a few words about how it's been going, his experiences, and his plans:


Voodoo: You have a very definite style to your designs. Where do you find your inspiration?
Alfred Kabuki: Hehehe... nice question because I was talking before to a girlfriend and she said I should say that I get all my inspiration from her.. It was just a joke, but sometimes she was getting me in the mood to create something... ;) Most of our inspiration we have from stylez we like to wear ourselves... I also get the inspiration of the memebrs ofthe f.a.t. designz team.. because of it's really the team, like henric, betty, juke, iq, and some cool others... that makes f.a.t. to what it is...
Voodoo: So you draw on rl fashion too?
Alfred Kabuki: Yes... I do sometimes shirts in rl as well... so we start also to adapt some of our sl fashion a bit into rl.. So we are starting a rl -shirtshop as well... coming soon also on our new webpage.
Voodoo: Yes, what was the inspiration behind bringing your sl designs to rl? Was it something that people were asking for, or was it something you wanted to do yourself?
Alfred Kabuki: I just wanted to do it myself, because I wanted to do a bit different to others.. not going with a rl label into sl.. ;)
Voodoo: Taking a popular sl style into rl instead?
Alfred Kabuki: Its hard.. but on some things I think it is possible... So we don’t sell tattoos there.... It should be just a little bit rl benefit for others here in sl...
Voodoo: So, did you have any rl fashion design experience before starting F.A.T. inworld?
Alfred Kabuki: yes I designed some shirts before. I love to create things that are used and sometimes loved by others
Voodoo: How has SL helped you expand on your desire to be a designer? Has it just been a new way of getting seen, or has it helped your designing?
Alfred Kabuki: It helped me designing.. yes... but I was designing also before stuff like flyers for parties or also a lot of advertising material for other companies
Voodoo: Yes, your designs have a lot of ties to the underground dance scene, and you seem to have a good following in some of the hipper clubs in sl.. Was that intentional?
Alfred Kabuki: Yes... we are working good together with some very cool clubs... and as well I love the underground dance scene and that gives me inspirations as well.. I love for myself statements like ... “last night I fucked the djs wife”.. not otherwise.. ;) I also always try to break rules somehow.. and try to find a way to make it possible...
Voodoo: Absolutely... a lot of the slogans have a rebellious streak... Have you ever thought of a slogan to put on a shirt, and then thought "No, that's too much?"
Alfred Kabuki: yes... sure... bur here in sl.. is this border easier to cross...
Voodoo: So you can get away with things in sl you couldn't in rl?
Alfred Kabuki: you can try it easier here... to put also harder statements on this.. I have some stuff also in my inv somewhere that I think.. hmmm maybe also to hard for sl... but maybe one day I will also bring them out.. ;)
Voodoo: Has being able to experiment in sl helped you take more risks with the stuff you are releasing in rl?
Alfred Kabuki: yes absolutely. It is a great testing platform... its cool to get some response and feedback here from the peoples...
Voodoo: So, finally, what advice would you give to any other budding designers in sl?
Alfred Kabuki: they should design what they like or love to have themselves, and not only try to copy something that is already available on the market.. ;)




For more info about F.A.T. Designs, visit their blog at http://fat-designz.blogspot.com/ or drop by the inworld store at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Sharlies%20Angels/200/192/459

0 comments

Post a Comment