Last Night A Djai Saved My Life

Sunday 27 January 2008

When the real world media reports on Second Life, they would have you believe that it is populated exclusively by either Get-Rich-Quick conmen, out to rip each other off, as if they are in a complex game of guerrilla monopoly, or sex starved maniacs, leching over each other, before indulging in a frenzy of perverted rutting the likes of which would make the Marquis De Sade blush. This is of course not true, as although these stereotypes do exist, SL is also a hot bed of creative talent, from the programmers, designers and builders who make this mad world we exist in, to the creatives, artists, writers and musicians, who try to make the virtual world a more beautiful places to live in.

I was fortunate enough to catch one of the best of these musicians today, Djai Skjellerup, performing one of the many gigs he puts on all over the grid, much to the enjoyment of passers by, and his dedicated following alike. Djai is a singer songwriter, singing his words as he accompanies himself on the piano, in a style which tends to make you think of Elton John at his best (I really didn't want to draw the line between Djai and Mr John, as it feels lazy to compare just because they both sing and play piano, but Djai's bouncy musical style does evoke a similar spirit). I was lucky enough to convince Djai to take time out from working on his debut album "Ice Age Diaries" (which should available in April) to have a chat about his career, his experience as an SL musician, and his current projects:



Voodoo Buwan: So..... How long have you been performing your music in SL?

Djai Skjellerup: About 7 months now. When I first heard about the possibility to play live in an online environment called SL it really caught my attention. It reinvigorated my ambition to be a songwriter. I have always written songs but having an outlet for them is key. The other methods of online marketing are far less interactive, such has having a myspace page...still very useful but in SL it is an interactive experience with those listening to you. I had not performed in RL for a few years when I heard about SL, although I'd had a variety of roles in a few different bands but knew what I really wanted to do was just to write songs and have them heard.

Voodoo Buwan: You're one of the more established and hard working acts in SL, gigging 4 or 5 times most weeks... Did you have any problems breaking into the SL music scene?


Djai Skjellerup: Yes I did at first...there were fewer musicians around then but I went about it a different way than most I guess...you see I had been in SL for around 6 months before I ever performed.. the way I see it I wanted to become an integrated member of SL before I jumped into performing. I feel dedicated to SL and I did not want to come here to try and grab some limelight for what is essentially a RL act. I intend to be in SL for the long term, but at first I did some open mics...I would advise all musicians to do those as they give a good grounding, and then I started getting a name...but I approached venues myself at first. Now I am happy to say that they come and find me :)

Voodoo Buwan: Yes, your act is very much using the media rather than just playing the songs... I'm thinking about your interacting with the crowd. Is that a conscious choice, or is it more just how you are?

Djai Skjellerup: Well I think SL has a habit of bringing people out of themselves and that respect I am no different...I certainly think SL makes me a more ebullient than I might be normally, but then engaging the audience is key to performing in SL I find and that engagement has become a necessity as well as an enjoyment...I love doing it..playing and chatting to folks :)

Voodoo Buwan: When you say about being part of the community, it makes me think of something you mentioned on stage earlier, with the song "Get it Together". Can you explain this project for our readers, and what it's all about?

Djai Skjellerup: Well it has become apparent recently that the SL music scene is being heavily support by a few philanthropic venue owners, who are footing the bill in many different way to bring music to the audience..in land fees, musician and staff fees and all sorts, and that is a model that cannot be sustained.And so some members of the music community in SL have been brainstorming ways of raising the profile of music in SL and educating the audience as to how it is funded...so that they understand that if they do shoulder the burden and make a contribution when at a show, then there will be alot less live music around. Now no one really thinks a venues charging admittance will work very well, as that would exclude many noobs who we need ...new audience members are always welcome, but a much better situation would be that the costs of having the music is met by those that benefit from it...the audience...and if educated to the situation they will be more likely to tip. And so "Get It Together" is my contribution. It is a song I wrote and have distributed to a number of other SL musicians. They are currently recording it themselves and when they have returned their recordings back to us...me and my collaborator Toby Lancaster. Then we will build a "Band Aid" style track that will be gifted to all non profit venue or those with very little revenue stream, so that it can be given away free in a notecard with other information whenever anyone tips and will also act as a showcase for all the musicians who perform on it :) Here is a URL with more details :) http://slmc.myfastforum.org/Get_It_Together__about810.html

Voodoo Buwan: Sounds like a great project. Have the venues reacted well to the idea?

Djai Skjellerup: Yes very well...I am looking forward to hearing the other musicians contributions...we have some of the great and good of the SL music scene.... SLim Warrior, Kim Seifert and Rich Desoto among many others :)

Voodoo Buwan: Getting back to you for a bit... You have a very crisp quality to your sound when performing, unlike many sl musicians, almost like you are in a recording studio rather than your bedroom, for instance. Is that something that you made the effort to achieve, or is it just a by product of having to be in a room that fits a piano?

Djai Skjellerup: Well, the room I perform in at my home is my study but I am lucky that is has a high ceiling and is semi-separated from the rest of the house...so I can go for it without disturbing anyone but I building a dedicated studio...and I am hoping to use that for myself and other musicians when it is ready...my current sound is down to tweaking the setting and taking time and trouble to get it right...a few pals have helped me in that respect by being my ears at a show...getting a quick heads up if there is an audio issue is always more useful that people staying quiet because they are polite :)

Voodoo Buwan: Do you have dreams of getting discovered through performing inworld, or is being an SL musician an ends in itself?

Djai Skjellerup: That's a great question...my dream was always really to get a publishing deal as a songwriter and to be able to place songs with RL artists and I saw SL as a way of getting exposure for the songs rather than me...but the reaction I have had to my playing and singing itslef has been overwhelming and I have to admit it has made me think a little about performing in RL...but I am a family man..35 years old with 4 kids under the age of 5 lol...and so SL suits me down to the ground really...I can get my music across and engage with people in an even better way than I think I might in RL....as long as the kids are in bed lol

Voodoo Buwan: Finally, a few quick fire questions: Who would say are your biggest musical influences?

Djai Skjellerup: The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, REM...many melodic acts with an emphasis on lyricism

Voodoo Buwan: Do you check out many live acts in SL when you aren't performing? And if so, who is your favourite?

Djai Skjellerup: I do and my personal preference is for the acts that perform original material live...a couple of the ones I like most are Melvin Took and Eyewall Paine

Voodoo Buwan: And Lastly, what tips would you give to anyone else thinking about becoming an SL performer?

Djai Skjellerup: Two things really...the first is to strive to be the best you can possibly be...SL is not a poor cousin to RL in respect of the quality of act you put out...make sure you are prepared with everything you need at hand...there is nothing worse than dead air during a show or someone forgetting lyrics ...some minor mistakes are fine and in fact a little glitch often helps to remind the audience it is being performed live...but really just be the best you can through preparation and practice.. and the other thing is to integrate in SL a little first. I took 6 months, but a few weeks would be enough :)

More information on when to catch Djai performing live, along with his blog can be found at http://www.djaiskjellerup.com/ or you can hear some of his tracks at www.myspace.com/djaiskjellerup1

0 comments

Post a Comment