In What World?!

Monday 31 December 2007

By now if you regularly read our site you will have realised that I have an itch to rant. Various things annoy many people, usually different things, from lack of customer relations to lag. At points in our day to day lives I am sure things annoy you, why should a virtual world be any different?

I need to make you all aware of one thing, something that should be kept in mind at all times. I may complain, I may moan but I do love this game. People and things annoy me, causing me to ramble on, but through it all I continue to pay for this wonderful colourful experience that is second life. Everyone in second life is allowed their freedom of speech. I have the good fortune to be able to do it here on Rez, it’s my choice to do it, the same as it is your choice to read it. We may not always agree but if we all agreed on everything the world, both real and second would be a very boring place.

I found myself the other day actually shaking my head at my computer screen. Here I was wondering about the ¼ sim I live on. Minding my own business, as I often do, tidying up the land, playing with prims when in drops a….. normally I would say gentleman but he wasn’t. I gather he was excited and that the atmosphere was rather cold his xcite attachment out for the world to see and admire. Shame in this case he happened upon a lesbian. The first and only words out his mouth where “wanna fuck”. I thought to myself how rude. You arrive on my land, don’t even enquire after my wellbeing, don’t even dress for the occasion and presume I will take you up on your delightful offer. As tempting as this question was, even to the most gay of women, I simply retorted with “fuck this” and hit eject.

It made me think however. In what world is this accepted as normal behavior? If a man approached a woman in the street with his tackle showing and that question, she would call the police! Sure most of us have had the delight of walking past a building site… hot sweaty men with jeans too small for them shouting obscenities. We know how delightful an experience that is!

Whilst thinking over the complexities of this situation, I happened upon more ponders. I am a keen reader of classified adverts. Since I explore and shop a lot in this game a classified advert is second nature. I understand that in a digital world the want for shortening words is great so things like ‘u’, ‘nvr’ & ‘gr8’ creep in. As for the great typo… we all do them, in the heat of fast and furious conversations a typo will appear. I wonder in what world however some of these classified adverts are from. If someone has taken the time and care to produce something, then surely it takes 2 extra seconds to market it properly. I watch with keen interest some of the ‘big’ places in sl. Clubs etc…. I have been a few times to some places that have hosts with horrendous spelling. I am not about to get my big red marker out but if you sell something or represent something at least TRY to do it properly. The odd typo is one thing having a language all of your own is quite another!

One further progression in my thinking (and ranting) is to do with selling objects. This world allows endless possibilities. You can create and package anything you want. From glorious fantasy outfits to gothic cathedrals. The depth of knowledge and experience in second life can be truly awe inspiring at times. As I mentioned above being the keen shopper I am, I often look with bemusement upon objects for sale. I have in the past seen absolutely stunning designs of clothes, or a beautifully crafted high prim building boxed up and listed in slx or sold in world with a simple snapshot to sell it. Like I said above if you have taken the time to create these things you have followed a process. For example think of a building…. Firstly you need to think of what style of building and then you must build it, taking time to align and link pieces. You must select a texture to use, one in keeping with your building. If it’s a larger building then you must use a rezzer to package it up… then you take a snapshot and shove it onto a prim? If you have spent a few hours or a day or so creating this surely taking 5 minutes extra to make the most of your creation is advisable? Obviously not everyone has Photoshop (or similar), I accept that, but there are a few things you can do to show dedication to your build. With windlight available as First Look, and soon Main Grid I advise people use it to the best of its ability.




I find myself, especially on slx shopping with my eye. I scroll through endless pages of simple pictures then stop at the ones that catch my eye. I.e. the ones that show imagination and a desire to allow the creation sell itself.





Take a few moments out to look at these:
Fashion Examples

DoC Eldritch (DE Designs)

Sherona DeGroot (DG Designs)

Building Examples

Amiryu Hosoi

skimi mission

These are a handful of people on slx that grab my attention, not only by the creations they produce but they dedicate to carry it through from start to finish.

Second Life gives everyone the freedom they may not have in real life, for that it’s an amazing experience, I just wish some people would have some foresight and think of others. If you spend time creating something then finish the job as you started it. Use your products to sell themselves. If you represent a club or list an advert then think how it looks to others and if you have to walk this world with your package showing then don’t expect everyone to be as happy to see you as you are to see them.

2 comments
Speric Lane said...

Mhhh, i can recall a day, back in time, when the lovely and delightfull co-writer Voodoo Buwan elegantly responded on a somewhat ignorent question from my side;
Can i advertise on RezMagazine Voodoo?
"We don't do advertising", he mildly replied, possibly because we were at miss Tesco's birthday party.

I can respect that, even I set out to make some linden in the past.

But to name sellingpoints and entrepeneurs in a marketingstyle- RANT, blows the thing waaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion....

Nah, just bugging you trin....
Quite a nice artical to be more honest, keep up the good work...

:)

7 January 2008 at 11:54  
Brutha Voodoo said...

Just to clarify... I still stand by my statement that we don't do advertising, as we don't take payment for any articles or comments that we make. What we do is celebrate excellance, and criticise failings in SL, and promote those who we feel are due attention by those who are looking for something interesting in the virtual world.

Rez is a labour of love, not a moneymaking venture, thus meaning that we will never promote something as being great simply because they drove a truckload of money to our door.

Glad you're enjoying it and we thank you for your continued support ;)

7 January 2008 at 15:50  

Post a Comment