Interviewing the Interviewers: Dousa Dragonash

Thursday 15 October 2009

There are different type of interviewers in Second Life, as there are in real life. There are some who have their own chat shows, inviting their subjects into their lair, where they can tease information and insights out of an interviewee, on their home turf. Then there are those who roam the grid, looking for subjects to speak to, venturing into strange unfamiliar lands, and reporting back conversations with the most interesting and inspiring beings that they encounter. Dousa Dragonash is in the latter camp, working for metaverse-tv.com as a co-news anchor on Metaverse Weekly News, but also as a roving reporter with her own eponymous show "Out and About with Dousa Dragonash". I had the privilege of sitting down with this very self effacing and humble interviewer, at Metaverse TV's recently opened sim, designed by Lumiere Noir, to have a chat with her about what had shaped her Secondlife, and how she had ended up in this virtual line of work:


Voodoo Buwan: What initially brought you to SecondLife?

Dousa Dragonash: I have a friend, a colleague in rl, and he and I get sent away on conferences quite often. He took a long time before he vouchsafed that he was in SL and suggested that actually it would be completely my thing.

Voodoo Buwan: So, what did you initally expect coming in world? What were you hoping to do?


Dousa Dragonash: Well first of all I was curious. I had no expectation. I had never done a social networking site of any kind, not facebook nothing. I have worked with computers for years and liked games but really didn't want to talk to other people. I thought that would be truly weird. Also there is an anonymity thing for me. I find it really important to be anonymous. When I came in, the first thing that happened was that someone spoke to me. An American man. Gave me a heart attack. I hoped to sit on a beach and look at a sea. Then I suppose when I hit Help Island Public, I just thought this is completely fabulous. My head expanded and the possibilities hit me and I realized I could sit on a beach and look at a sea lol. But also I started building and changing appearance in the manner of all newbies, but fell into talking into everyone in text, for hours and hours, like I was hungry. I explored and also loved, absolutely loved, what people were creating. So I tried to have a second life. to live the life that I have lived but make the decisions that I didnt make the first time.

Voodoo Buwan: So, how did someone who came inworld thinking that the concept of talking to people was creepy, end up making her Second Life career out of conducting interviews?


Dousa Dragonash: Well I was in and out of social intercourse at one point, and I thought I am going to see what happens here in the way of occupations I have known. I had gone into a couple of writers' groups and then saw that people were doing shows. So I looked up to see in Events what was going on and saw that someone was putting together a tv show and I thought I would like to see how that works. I turned up and there were two guys there and some people hanging about very casual. I got chatting to one of the guys and he was very close to me in understanding about the business, so I suppose we kind of knew that we both were capable of doing something. He suggested me to the other guy who was Robustus Hax. I didnt do that project but he then texted me when he was looking for an Anchor. After that I just got more and more involved

Voodoo Buwan: From anchoring the Metaverse News show, you started doing your own "Out and About" interview shows. Was this something you pushed to do, or was it an organic extension what you were already doing?


Dousa Dragonash: It was organic. It was something I was really interested in doing. I love what people achieve in here and really want to celebrate it. My God, I am a titchy thing in my knowledge next to the guys who build and code and design in here. I can do bits of everything, now I dont have much time, so I try to support what happens through the programme. I am a very curious person so that much is truly unavoidable.

Voodoo Buwan: So, how do you find your potential interviewees? Do you have much assistance, or do you do all the organization yourself?


Dousa Dragonash: Ok I do everything myself. Well, organizationally. Filming and editing, I dont do, only cause it is difficult for me to follow with the camera at the same time as paying attention.

Voodoo Buwan: Well, what attracts you to a particular person as someone worthy of interviewing? What sort of thing draws you towards them as a potentially interesting and/or entertaining subject?


Dousa Dragonash: Very simple things like the turn of a prim. I wonder HOW did they do that? Or a colour or a beautiful sim. Sometimes achievements, sometimes adversity. Don't you think this platform attracts the most extraordinary range of people? People I wouldn't necessarily be able to go up to in rl and say I would really love to talk to you about you for an hour and film it. Would you mind?

Voodoo Buwan: So, it gives you the chance to ask the questions you'd like to ask, and that hopefully your audience would also like to know?


Dousa Dragonash: Ah well. audience. If I am honest, and sometimes I am, I dont necessarily think about what other people want to know. I just want to hear about the people that I am talking to cause I am genuinely interested. And I am just a person so I reckon that if I want to hear it other people might as well. The Out and About on Kimlenswomanphotographer Writer was massive cause she has had such an interesting career and life. I split it into two shows. I don't check the numbers. I just thought that work needed honouring... she was fab to interview by the way



Voodoo Buwan: SO, we're all invited along for the ride, but the ride will be leaving whether we're on the bus or not?


Dousa Dragonash: fraid so lol

Voodoo Buwan: You mentioned obviously one of your favourite interviews. Have you had any particularly difficult or challenging interviews or interviewees?


Dousa Dragonash: oh yes, amusing as well and challenging but not in the way you might expect. Some of the most challenging are challenging because of the time differences. There was one where I was in UK one person in Philippines one in Japan and one in US. We were all asleep in rl basically and awake in sl. It took some doing, pinging everywhere to wake people up, and then we were speaking English from at least four different perspectives. It was fun, but a kind of torture as well cause we were so tired.

Voodoo Buwan: Do you have anyone in SL who you would love to get to interview, but have not been able to so far?


Dousa Dragonash: Yes, two, the obvious ones of course. Anshe Chung and Philip Linden. Anshe was the first one I tried, mainly because I was knocked out by the sims and then because she is a she. I have almost started to take the ability not to be judged for being female in business for granted in here. When I describe situations I have had in RL to, particularly, Americans in here they cannot believe what happens simply because I am female.

Voodoo Buwan: Another way in which SL is providing opportunities not necessarily possible in RL?


Dousa Dragonash: I am devoted to that. That certainly when I came in it was a level playing field or felt like it at that point, for all kinds of people. I would fight to conserve that

Voodoo Buwan: You mentioned the upcoming series. What kind of thing can we expect next from Dousa Dragonash, both in that series, or in any other projects you might be working on?


Dousa Dragonash: My colleagues would say Pain. No shoes. Long legs. The MBA... that is what they would say... Well, there is the next series of Out and About which is being edited. We are producing a new comedy drama (I use the word comedy loosely) called "Into Midnight". We have new shows coming up or have just started, I am writing a new drama series for MBC and we have this fab sim now. So I guess I will have to justify its existence or Robustus will be on my tail. I do have three mega projects in mind which I think are completely perfect for SL They need massive planning and cooperation though.

Voodoo Buwan: Is there anything people can do to help with these mystery projects, or are they just on the drawing board at the moment?


Dousa Dragonash: Well one isn't just on the drawing board. I have made overtures to the person who holds the rights and they were pretty receptive. We couldn't meet up when we planned, so I have to take up the slack and go do the meet. A bit nerve racking. The other is a glint in my eye and the third one needs writing.

Voodoo Buwan: Plenty to look forward to, and keep you busy with, then?


Dousa Dragonash: Yes. I think the thing that we have to deal with most is administration

Voodoo Buwan: Finally, and on kind of a similar note, if you were to give advice to people looking to follow in your footsteps into this kind of virtual media career, what would be your top tips?


Dousa Dragonash:
no.1 If you have any doubt about doing it, don't.
no.2 Be very flexible.
no.3 Resilience.
But more than any of these really is Creativity. People nick ideas as much as content and they also repeat rl ideas. Here we can do so much more and so much faster

Voodoo Buwan: Is there anything else you would like to add?


Dousa Dragonash: I suppose there is one thing. I am bemused by being interviewed.. most of what I do is about others... or for others... Robustus Hax is very much an unsung hero to me. He puts his heart and soul and most of his life into this project. He tolerates me encourages me and allows me in a way that I have never received in RL. That kind of confidence. He has a quiet confidence and a depth of knowledge about people that I truly admire ... He is definitely one to watch. That is why I continue to do this. It makes me happy.

Read the previous article in this series:
Interviewing the Interviewers: Paisley Beebe

1 comments
Mimi Juneau said...

I admire Dousa, for what she does and bacause she's a hell of a great lady !
Nice interview,btw.
Love you Dousa!

16 October 2009 at 01:35  

Post a Comment