The Full Spectrum of Music

Sunday 5 July 2009

One of the constant challenges voiced by anyone within the Secondlife music community is the concept of getting the word out. With the grid being such a large place, and so many things going on at any one time, actually getting a following, or even getting anyone to turn up to your event, is a long and difficult slog, with predominantly word of mouth being the main way to get publicity. Yet, of course, this does mean that you run the risk that, no matter how much you play, it may end up feeling that you are playing your gigs to the same small group of friends, night after night.

Fortunately, there are people trying to wave the banner of live music in SL, and one such man is Fox Reisch, the owner and operator of Indiespectrum Radio a website and online radio station playing exclusively original music by SL artists. I met up with him, to find out a little more about how this project came about, why he does it, and what it could do for the talented musicians inworld.


Voodoo Buwan: How long has Indiespectrum been operating?
Fox Reinsch: Since November 2007
Voodoo Buwan: And what was the inspiration behind starting it?
Fox Reinsch: I wanted to help a musician friend promote her music here. Figured in RL they use radio so I would start a SL artist's radio station.
Voodoo Buwan: Was it at all difficult getting going at the start?
Fox Reinsch: Figuring out how to stream was Ok but setting up the web page to take requests was hard. Getting music turned out to be hard work too. I knew a few musicians that sent music but everyone else I have to chase after. They are on my Artists' Links page in the order they signed on.

Voodoo Buwan: Was there any problems with the issues of copyright, since I know how sensative artists, especially those inworld, can be about such things?
Fox Reinsch: Well I probably have the only legal station in SL. All the artists sign an on-line agreement that they personally own the music and give me permission to play it. All indendant artists' original music. No covers! Under the creative commons act the record companies really cannot bother me. Also they cannot bother any virtual businesses that play it.
Voodoo Buwan: So, once you've got the station, and the music to play, how did you spread the word? Do you have any idea how many people listen?
Fox Reinsch: I just tell people about it and the word spreads. Also I give out free radios here. and on Xstreet. I had 31,000 tune ins last month and over 100,000 hits to the web page. The station is also listed on iTunes under the eclectic genre. The problem is that word spreads fast in the live music community but it has been hard to get outside to the rest of the people in SL. I was in SL amost a year before I found out about live music here!
Voodoo Buwan: So, there's a challenge in getting the word out inworld, let alone getting recognition of inworld talent out in the real world?
Fox Reinsch: It seems impossible to tell all of SL about live music. I need help. I pretty much do everything myself. It would be great if my free radios were out as freebies at the high traffic shopping places in SL and they played SL my station not out of SL copyrighted web stations.
Voodoo Buwan: Apart from landowners using your stream, if someone wanted to help, what could they do?
Fox Reinsch: Anyone with any SL business can expose people to the great talent here in SL by playing my station. They can put out my free IndieSpectrum Radio radios vendor too. Also have now playing signs for them, like the one above my head or with hover text.
Voodoo Buwan: Are there any challenges with funding an operation like this, or does it all come out of your pocket?
Fox Reinsch: I do it just for fun as I love the music here and make many good friends. It is not a business but I do get some donations. I would like to have some volunteer helpers too. Publicity and to run live music fund raisers shows at my venue. I think most people running venues and supporting live music here are not making money but some do consider them businesses. So I have a listener supported station but mostly I support it and am a listener.
Voodoo Buwan: Finally, with all the music by SL musicians you must listen too, who are the acts that you would personally recommend as must see performers, for someone interested in hunting out the best that the scene has to offer?
Fox Reinsch: Well I don't think I should say. But I do enjoy all of the music no matter how good or bad. Listen to the station, you choose.
Voodoo Buwan: Very diplomatic of you.
Fox Reinsch: I play all of the music I get. If an artist sends 1 song it gets played much more than each of the songs from an artist that sends me dozens. The artists that send alot of songs do get played more. I try to be fair to everyone. Don't think there is any bad music on the station, there is a huge varity. Over 130 artists and over 1000 original songs. Everything from classical flute to hip hop. The full "spectrum".

0 comments

Post a Comment