A bridge too far

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Some of the worlds finest examples usually stand proud and tall, dominating a position and looking down on us all. I doubt many of us would be able to look at a bridge and have no feeling about it whatsoever; even if that feeling is from the purely practical point of view that the structure carries you from here to there. For bridge enthusiasts (of which I am one) around the world, bridges can invoke many different thoughts and even emotions. From the finer details of how it’s been constructed to how it can symbolise a physical and sometimes even emotional journey to the other side.

With these thoughts in mind I decided to use my SecondLife to embark on an exploration of bridges. From the large, well known, showcases bridges, to the smaller lesser known structures.

One of the best recognised bridges in the (real) world is the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In SecondLife this bridge is located at Ponderosa as part of the Australian themed sims. In excess of 1,000 prims this virtual representation of this immense bridge is wonderful, my only complaint is the area lacks its world famous Opera House. However from a ‘things I’d like to do before I die’ point of view, I was able to walk up the Sydney Harbour bridge and I never even left my seat.


Another unmistakable giant in the world of real life bridges is the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. I found the SL version of this bridge on slexchange and following an IM to the creator was given a landmark to view this in-world. This bridge can be bought for 17,000$L and utilises over 900 prims however it is frankly astounding. The attention to detail is flawless; from the cables with particle emitting lights to the support towers and even a city skyline in the background which all go together to paint a rather exceptional picture.


For my next SecondLife Bridge I decided that while the two structures mentioned above were indeed stunning they were not something most of us could have on our homes or islands very easily. So instead of looking at bridges over 1,000 prims I brought the limitation down.

Any connoisseurs of finely primed boats in SL will be very familiar with the name Maximilian Milosz and his in-world location at Max Marina Yacht Club and MaxMarine. A short walk from the Marina I discovered a beautifully detailed foot bridge which is under 200 prims but manages to look more like 600. Like his boats Maximilian has paid particular attention to the structures fine details and textures. Custom textures create the correct light for the footbridge and the right amount of steel shine used to make it stand out. It’s a beautiful example of something that looks rather understated on first appearance and exceptionally well made upon closer inspection.


My journey of discovery then took me to one of the Rezzables Sims. Connecting Cannery Rezzable to Dump Rezzable the bridge here is a Bascule bridge, or swing bridge, although it’s not scripted to act in such a way here. This bridge is less than 100 prims and fits the whole theme of the surrounding area perfectly. On my travels I did find some bridges that were dropped into place to fill a gap, this cannot be said for the structure at Rezzable.


I went off in search of sculpt natural bridges next and came across a rather fine example of such at SkyBeam. The bridge here made entirely of sculpts and using less than 45 prims also has the added excitement of some poseballs for romantic sunset/ sunrise watching. You can even click the ‘dive’ animation and watch as your avatar takes a giant leap of faith into the water below.


As I was beginning to tire from my trails I wanted to stop off at another bridge you can buy for your SecondLife land and one that has been seen consistently popular on SLExchange for the past few weeks. At Skye Castles Homes you can view the Skye Faery Bridge. This bridge captures the essence of any good bridge and also the purpose of SecondLife. For me a bridge does represent an emotional and physical journey, this example also encompasses some fantasy into that practical journey. With lights and even wings in my very humble opinion this bridge captures the best of both our worlds.


Here ends the great bridge journey for the meantime; however there are many bridges out there for us all to see. Some are to be visited and some to be bought, I hope you have a look the next time you’re wandering and hopefully you find a bridge which makes you think.

0 comments

Post a Comment